Public Security agents

The Public Security Officer’s primary responsibility is the application of the Town’s municipal bylaws (e.g. nuisance, animal control, parking, etc.). If you have a complaint regarding criminal acts, please dial 911 immediately. 

Public Security Officers are mandated by the City Council to enforce municipal bylaws under the provisions provided by the Quebec Code of Penal Procedures and, as such, have the authority to detain and identify persons found in violation of a municipal bylaw.

Tickets cannot be paid at the Montreal West Town Hall. You have 30 days to pay the fine on the ticket or send in a not guilty plea to the Municipal Court. Tickets or statements of offense, once issued, are legal documents and cannot be altered, cancelled or destroyed. They are the property of the Municipal Court. For inquiries, please refer to the City of Montreal Municipal Court.

Public Security cannot enforce moving violations, please report any speeding concerns or traffic violations to our local police station at 514.280.0109.

The Town of Montreal West, however, does have a traffic calming policy. Please report any recurring problems to the Traffic and Safety Committee (TASC). The TASC will evaluate your request and, if deemed suitable, apply the traffic calming policy.


Yes, between 6 a.m. and 2 a.m. unless signs indicate otherwise. You are permitted to park your vehicle in the same space for a maximum of 4 hours, unless the sign in your area indicates less. Find out more on street parking.

Please note: street parking hours end at midnight and not 2 a.m. on Ronald, Roxton and Westminster.

Read up on our different parking permits to find out which one best applies to your situation. You can then complete the parking permit application form online or at Town Hall (50 Westminster S.).

During and after snowstorms, residents are asked to respect all temporary “No Parking” signs placed by the Public Works department for the purpose of snow removal. Snow removal hours are between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. and can take place on any day of the week. Residents can help by refraining from parking their vehicles on the street whenever possible, in order to permit the free passage of snow removal equipment. Vehicles impeding snow removal can be fined and towed. Also note that sidewalks must not be blocked by vehicles parking too close, or by vehicles overhanging from a driveway onto a sidewalk. Side walk snow plows need the entire width of the sidewalk in order to safely clean it.


Permits are required for all dogs and renewable each year, January 1st. A dog licence can be obtained online or at Town Hall for an annual fee of $25 if dog is spayed or neutered or $50 if it’s not spayed or neutered.

Dog tags help Public Security return unclaimed dogs to their owners.  Unclaimed dogs without tags are considered abandoned and turned over to an animal shelter. In addition, in order to make use of the dog park, your dog must be registered with the Town.  

The dog park is open to residential and non-residential dog owners. However, in order to use the dog park, the dog must be vaccinated and licensed by the Town.

Please note that there are a limited number of licence registrations provided to non-residents on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Dog licences can be obtained at Town Hall for an annual fee of $25 for residents and $75 for non-residents.

Dogs must be accomapnied by their keeper at all times, and the keeper shall use whatever means necessary to clean at once any excrement left by their dog.

The following activities are forbidden in the park:
a) human food consumption;
b) alcohol consumption;
c) smoking;
d) use of glass containers.

The dog park is opened between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. every day. Please note that the dog park will be closed for maintenance on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Permits are required for all cats and valid for the life of the animal. A cat licence can be obtained online or at Town Hall for a fee of $15 for a non-spayed or non-neutered cat and free of charge for a spayed or neutered cat. If a kitten is neutered within six months of registration, the $15 fee will be refunded. 

By law the Town cannot remove wild animals from your property. However, you can read up on tips to prevent wild animals from accessing your property. 

However, if a wild animal is injured on your property, please call the SPCA and specify that it is a wild animal.

If your pet has gone missing, please contact the Public Security dispatch at 514 630-1234.

If there is a dead animal on public property or your front yard, please contact Public Works at 514 485-8597.

Code RED

In the event of a major emergency, the Code Red system will provide the Town with the ability to reach and inform residents of a potential danger within minutes (e.g. fires, gas leaks, environmental disasters, road closures, evacuation notices, boil water advisories, etc.). 

Residents and merchants signed up to Code Red are eligible to receive important information by telephone, email and SMS text messages.

Register online. We encourage all residents and merchants to add secondary phone numbers, cell phone numbers and email addresses to the database, as the current Code Red database only contains listed landline telephone numbers in our Town