On Wednesday, October 18, 2023, Montréal will be TESTING the city’s emergency siren system between 9 a.m. and 12:20 p.m. During this test, no actions need to be taken.
This is a technical test carried out to ensure the proper working order of equipment, as well as the preparedness of all emergency responders.
The emergency siren sounds off for 3 minutes and is the best way to warn people of the release of a toxic substance from a nearby factory.
Take this opportunity to find out what to do when you hear the emergency siren.
Why such a test in Montreal West?
The Lactalis Canada factory, located at 7470, Saint-Jacques street West uses ammonia in its refrigeration process. In the case of an industrial accident causing ammonia to be released into the air, the emergency siren will sound in order to quickly inform the population of potential exposure.
When you hear the alarm, follow the instructions below, to minimize exposure to toxic substances:
- Seek shelter in the nearest building to avoid breathing in the toxic substance.
- Close, seal and stay away from all windows. Turn off ventilation systems, in order to keep toxic substances out.
- Turn on your radio to get directives from authorities.
- Leave your kids in school, so as to avoid exposing them or yourself to toxic substances.
- Do not use your phone, so as to keep lines free for emergency responders.
For further information, please call 311 or visit montreal.ca